Thursday 1 March 2012

2-Egg Madeira cake


2 Egg Madeira Cake 

Is it just me who finds 2 eggs remaining in the fridge? I can find good cake recipes for 3 eggs, but not so many using 2 eggs. But, for some reason, there are often only two eggs in my fridge.  So, here is a recipe for my 2 egg version of the famous "Nigella Lawson's Mother-in-Law's Madeira cake". I love her recipe, but I need to adjust it for the last two eggs in my fridge. Although Nigella suggested using plain and self-raising flour, when I first tried her recipe I had run out of plain flour, but I used self-raising flour only. But it did the job well.  So here is my 2 egg Madeira Cake.

Ingredients

  • 160g softened unsalted butter (low-fat spread works well, too) 
  • 140g caster sugar
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp BP

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 170 °C /gas mark 3. 
  2. Cream the butter and sugar, and add the lemon zest.
  3. Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of the flour for each.
  4. Then gently mix in the rest of the flour and, finally, the lemon juice.
  5. Sprinkle with caster sugar (about 2 tablespoons should do it) as it goes into the oven, and bake for 40 minutes or until a cake-tester comes out clean.
  6. Remove to a wire rack, and let cool in the tin before turning out.   


4 comments:

  1. Exactly my situation, 2 eggs in the fridge and wanting to do Nigella's madeira cake! Made this recipe as stated except I used wholemeal SR flour as I do for everything. It doesn't say when to add the BP but I mixed it with the flour. In the oven now .......just tried it. Delicious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long in oven?

    ReplyDelete