Sunday 8 April 2012

My Little Chelsea Buns

I can't ignore leftovers... that's my weakness. There was a half used pack of instant custard powder in a cupboard.... I know it sounds ridiculous, but I used it in these Chelsea Bun looking things. I wanted to make my buns milky and egg flavoured. Well, I thought they would taste like custard. So, as an experiment, I mixed 250g strong white flower, 1tsp easy-action dried yeast, a pinch of salt and 2 tbsp of instant custard powder. Then, I added 175ml warm water and kneaded for 10 minutes. I wasn't sure if it would really work or not, so I used half the quantity of my basic bread recipe. After the first raising, I flattened the dough and spread apricot jam all over. Then I sprinkled some cinnamon and mixed dried fruit. I carefully rolled up the dough as if I was making a Swiss roll. Then, I cut this Swiss roll look dough into pieces about 2cm width.  I placed them on the baking plate, then baked  in a 200c fan oven for 15 minutes. After taking them out I spread some more apricot jam on the top to give the buns extra shine.


No comments:

Post a Comment