Wednesday 12 December 2012

My first Bagels

Here are my very first bagels. I love bagels and I've been wanting to make them. But the method sounded ever so complicated especially as they need to be boiled.  So, I've never be bothered making them.  
However, somehow, I really wanted to try them on this very cold frosty morning. In fact, the process wasn't as complicated as I imagined.  I researched various recipes from the internet and created my recipe as follows.  When I was making the bagel rings, I couldn't resist making rather larger ones than they really should be.  I guess I was quite hungry and couldn't wait to eat them.  Anyway, I baked my first 9 bagels.
..... well they should have been 10 bagels really.
..... very chewy ... quite different from the ones I normally buy in the shop, but these are so lovely. :)     

Ingredients 

  • 450g Strong white flour (or 350g Strong white flour + 100g Wholemeal Strong flour)
  • 7g (2 tsp)  =  1 sachet fast-action dried yeast
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 300ml (up to 315ml) lukewarm water
  • 1 Tbsp clear honey

Method 

1.       Make the dough by tipping the flour, yeast, salt and honey into a large bowl and making a well in the middle. Pour in most of the water and use your fingers or a wooden spoon to mix the flour and water together until combined to a slightly wet, pillowy, workable dough - add a splash more water if necessary. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. This can also be done in a tabletop mixer with a dough hook. Place the dough in a clean oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size. 
2.      On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 10 pieces. Shape each piece into a flattish ball, then take a wooden spoon and use the handle to make a hole in the middle of each ball. Slip the spoon into the hole, then twirl the bagel around the spoon to make a hole about 3cm wide. Cover the bagels and set aside for 35 minutes, to prove a second time.
3.      Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Slip the bagels into the boiling water - no more than four at a time. Poach for 1 to 1¼ minutes per side, turning over in the water until the bagels have puffed slightly and a skin has formed. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain away any excess water. Sprinkle over your choice of topping and place on a baking tray lined with parchment. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until browned and crisp - the bases should sound hollow when tapped. Leave to cool on a wire rack, then serve with your favourite filling.




No comments:

Post a Comment