Friday 25 May 2012

Easy Muffins


Since I got this new muffin baking pan, I can't stop baking muffins. :)
Apple muffins, Savoury Muffins were successful, but, to be honest, there were some unsuccessful ones when I tried to create a new recipe. It's not easy to make nice and fluffy light textured muffins.
The 1-egg Muffin recipe in my blog has been my favourite, but it's a bit time consuming as I have to make a bread-crumb like mixture from flour, butter and sugar with my fingers before adding wet ingredients.
It's a messy job. I enjoy this when I have time to do it as I know the result has been good so far.
But I just wanted to make quick muffins. After a few trials, I came to settle with this recipe. This is a very basic muffin recipe, so you can add whatever you like ... chopped apple, berries, chocolate chips, nuts and various dried fruit. The very important tip of making soft and fluffy muffins is not to over-mix the batter.
I must confess that I have made very dense heavy muffins by over-mixing them.
Once you add the wet mixture to the dried mixture, don't mix too much! Less is better.


Ingredients 

  • 200g Plain Flour
  • 150g Sugar
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • ¼  tsp Salt
  • 150ml Milk for muffins with dried fillings like nuts, chocolate chips and dried fruit.  if you are making muffins with fresh fruit 100ml milk will be enough as the fruit contains moisture. 
  • 50ml Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Egg
  • Vanilla extract
  • Fresh/Dried Fruit, Nuts… etc.

Method 

  1. Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6 and add paper cases to a muffin tray.
  1. Measure out flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix the dried ingredients well.
  1. Measure milk and oil in a large measuring jug. Add egg and vanilla, then whisk well.
  1.  Add the wet mixture (3) into the dry mixture (2).  Stir until just combined (mixture will be lumpy).        Do NOT over mix!
  1. Gently fold in fruit, etc.
  1. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment